The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Past Diary Jan 12 1974

Saturday mornings at this time was Greek class, as mentioned perhaps. Mr Garwood was taking a few of us through the rudiments. He tested us that Saturday. I had 70% on the grammar and 60% on exegesis (not sure if I'd do very much better now). We studied Mark 1:40-42. There is a textual question in 1:41 over whether Jesus was moved (splanchnistheis) or angry (orgistheis). Cranford (whose commentary we used) goes for angry I notice but Mr Garwood (a good TR man) had gone for moved I noted. Obviously as a 14 year old I didn't have much of an opinion but it was good to be exposed to such issues so early on. In the afternoon I went to town with my friend Stephen and bought a new suit and shoes (and a paper punch) -  brown three piece if I have the right one in mind. We also bought a concise Matthew Henry commentary for the church library with funds collected at the CPBSU. I had my eye on a Study Bible in the Christian Bookshop that I was saving for. In the evening my mam and dad were out assusual so my sister and I spent the evening at the house of friends of theirs as we often did. At last I managed to do some homework - the first mention of doing any that year I notice!

No comments: