The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Past Diary Jan 14/15 1974

I've let this get behind a little. As it turns out the diary has a gap between the 15th and the next entry on the 25th. So unless a find an alternative from another year soon you'll be spared this for a while. 
On Monday the 14th school had gone better and I was contemplating whether to give up my morning paper round but decided that I needed money for books. At that age I could already see how important books were but was very ignorant and accessing information was not as easy as it is now. I'd just worked out that the concise Matthew Henry is not a great commentary and had decied to buy a multi-volume set with my paper round money (which never happened) and wait until my birthday in May for my wide margin Bible. My friend Chris Buckingham came up that night with a list of 8,000 second hand books (a man in Portadown if I remember correctly) so the task was clearly a huge one.
One feature of the diary is a brief exposition of my reading for the day - usually not very good. Tuesday 15th it was Matthew 8:7-14. School didn't go as well as the day before according to the diary. After school I was with my friend Gwilym again. In the prayer meeting later Mr Garwood moved on to 2 Corinthians 11. We were urged to pray for Andrew Lovell, a member of the church who had gone as a missionary to work among the Aymara in Peru with Irish Baptist Foreign Missions. At that time there was great political instability and he wasn't being allowed to preach, etc.

No comments: