The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Gravity 3D

Oh yes I went to the cinema last week as well - on my own as I couldn't persuade anyone to come with me. Gravity, a film about being lost ins space is pretty much a one person show so it was appropriate. I tend to think of myself as rather cynical b this stage but I still get taken in by all the hype and certainly this film, although very good, was hyped up to the nth degree. Its attraction is its being set in outer space but it is not a science fiction film or anything like that bit a rather ordinary tale of dicing with death and coming through it. I didn't find the character particularly interesting and so despite their efforts I never really identified with her. This plus the fact that whatever happened I guessed she'd make it through any way took a lot of the energy out of the film for me. The most interesting line in it, I thought, was when, thinking she was about to die, Dr Stone says "No one will mourn for me. No one will pray for my soul. Will you mourn for me? Will you pray for me? I mean I'd pray for myself, but I've never prayed—nobody ever taught me how." (That's the line unsurprisingly that the Gospel Coalition article picks up on too here That article also notes the rebirth theme - completely lost on me I must confess). I wanted a bit more of that sort of thing really. The 3D works well as it adds to the impression of being in deep space. The sound track adds to the feel too. So good film, worth seeing on the big screen but disregard some of the hype. See Rotten Tomatoes where they love it here.

No comments: