The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day November 10 2013

It was Remembrance Sunday yesterday so we started with the two minutes silence and sang Our God our help. It was also a fellowship lunch, which was good, although there were fewer than are normally at such events with quite a few away and some not staying on. I preached on the Lord's Supper from 1 Corinthians 11 as far as verse 26. We'll say some more another time. In the evening I started a new series on Esther. We made a decent start. I've not preached all the way through it before. I did something a little different for the first time. Rather than printing out my sermon as usual I sent it to my kindle and used that. It was okay. You get less on the page and seeing a typo was somehow more perplexing than normal but I think this is the way ahead. I'll save a fortune on paper and ink. It was encouraging to see a decent number out for an evening service in the cold.

1 comment:

MFH said...

Gary,
I started using a samsung note 10.1 a few months ago.I make a pdf of my notes/sermon. I have only really now got the mastery of it, but now I have and I wouldn't go back.
The only think you have to do is make sure the device is charged.
Martin