The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Hoghton Tower


On the last day of October I made a trip up country to visit Hoghton Tower. My initial interest was sparked by studies I am conducting at present into the life of Isaac Ambrose. It was worth seeing anyway, although it is very much a 19th century building now, though still keeping to the Tudor style. The guide to the house was okay but not really looking at it from the angle I wanted. James I slept there once and they claim a Shakespeare connection though it looked unlikely to me on the face of it. Well worth seeing if you are in that part of the world. For more on Isaac Ambrose see here.

No comments: