The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Is this a clanger?

I was in the local Library the other day and I saw the new P G Wodehouse homage by Sebastian Faulks and so I borrowed it. I'm not a massive Wodehouse fan but I've read a few of his things and enjoy them for what they are. Faulks has managed to produce a work that is in keeping with the tradition without being mere pastiche. What you get, however, is a rather weak Wodehouse plus a little bit of Faulks. I thought the war references (at least two to the Great War and one to the Crimea or Boer I forget which) most egregious. Something also happens to Jeeves that never happens, which is not such a good idea. Jeeves comes over nearest to the original. I find him an endlessly fascinating character, up there with Sherlock Holmes. So not a disaster and a stimulus to reading more Wodehouse. The most damning thing I can say about it is that I didn't laugh out loud once.

No comments: