The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

10 Cognomina of English Monarchs

We've all heard of William the conqueror but what about,
1.  "Edward the Confessor"
2. "Ethelred the unready" or "No-Counsel": Ethelred II (OE: Æþelræd Unræd; ME: Ethelred the Redeless)
3. "Edmund the Magnificent" Edmund I (OE: Eadmund Glenglic)
4. "Edmund Ironside”: Edmund II
5. "Harold Harefoot": Harold I
6. "William the Red": William II (Latin: William Rufus)
7. "Henry Beauclerk" or "Beauclerc" (French, "Good Clerk"): Henry I
8. "Henry Curtmantle" (ME, "short cloak"): Henry II [or “Henry Fitzempress"]
9. "Richard the Lionheart": Richard I (French: Richard Cœur de Lion)
10. "John Lackland": John (French: Jean sans Terre)

No comments: