The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Retro Album of the week 6 - Blue on Blue

Away from the seventies for a moment to give a nod to the 2006 album Blue on Blue by Leigh Nash. I came across this not because I knew about her band Sixpence None the Richer (about whom I remain fairly ignorant) but because an interest in the artiste Jewel led to a recommendation from one of these online radio stations that I may also like, which I did. Blue on Blue is a beautiful pop album, professionally done and with the great voice of Leigh Nash.
The album apparently met mixed to positive reviews on release. Nash's vocals, lyrics and music direction were quite rightly praised. People didn't think it was as immediately appealing as the ones released by Sixpence None the Richer but that was obviously not a problem for me. Collaborators on the album were Sixpence's Matt Slocum, and the songwriting/production team of Rick Nowels and Billy Steinberg. Commercially, the album did not performed well. This is probably due to a lack of promotion and airplay. There were bonus tracks on the Japanese that I must get round to seeking out.

No comments: