The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day February 8 2015

It was a good day yesterday. A few were away (for good reasons) but their places were mostly taken by various visitors, who, as ever, we are hoping to see again. We'll see. A South African LTS student is with me on placement for three weeks so I had him lead in prayer and read the Scriptures. We had lunch together, as we do every other month, and (taking a leaf from Nigel Graham at Warboys' book) I took opportunity to interview him briefly.
The preaching continued in Ezra (on outside opposition) and the Sermon on the Mount. Matthew 5:17-20 is a controversial passage and not easy but I hope I nailed it. Perhaps I should have taken on the first of the antitheses too by way of illustration.
One fly in the ointment was the no show of one woman who has been quite often in the past but for whom it is now rather difficult to be present and another who I bumped into the day before. She is a troubled soul and wants to come but also didn't make it this time.

No comments: