The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day February 15 2015

We started using our new NIV Bibles yesterday. We have taken our time over this and are not entirely happy about having to change but the 1984 Bibles are wearing out and only 2011 Bibles can be had. The 2011 edition seeks to be gender neutral but has also made other changes from the 1984 edition, mostly for the good. Another thing yesterday was that all our Filipino friends came to the morning service at once, which was nice (many of them work in care homes and cannot come every week). We started the day with the first of a series of sessions on Bitesize Theology looking at the doctrines of God and Jesus. About 8 came. I wish there had been more. I preached from Ezra 5:1-6:12 in the morning and carried on in the Sermon on the Mount in the evening, looking at the sixth commandment. We also had communion before the evening service when we looked at John 12. That was a blessing. So a good day all in all. It's half term this week so some were ill as they began to take the foot of the gas.

3 comments:

Dave said...

May I ask, did you evaluate ESV?

In your church does the congregation vote on such issues as Bible translations or does your leadership team make such decisions? Many thanks.

Gary Brady said...

It was a leadership decision. My fellow elder and I were agreed and the three deacons were willing to support us. We are all tied to some extent to our history. The fact we already had niv '84 was a big factor. When we chose that there was no esv (or nkjv). I would think that the popularity of the esv among younger men is partly due to its newness and the main nkjv take up is where the av is strong. I have used the esv plenty. I find it stilted. I also grew up in a church where the rsv (its predecessor) was anathema and I'm sure that made me sceptical initially. Whatever happened to the erv I wonder?

Dave said...

Many thanks. I use both ESV and NIV 2011. The latter in the morning and the former in the evening. And both when studying in detail.