The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day March 1 2015

I was a little out of sorts heading off to church on Sunday morning (I'm not sure what it was - tiredness, knowing certain people would be missing including an unwell son, not preaching in the evening, pressure to prepare being away three days last week, lack of illustrations in the sermon??). Anyway we started with communion and that was okay (I focused on Mark 10:45). The morning sermon was on Ezra 7 and it seemed to be okay. There were people missing as I expected but we were great full and there was a new local couple there. Nice to have all my sons home at different points in the afternoon. Numbers were lower in the evening. Sihle Xulu preached competently, looking at the transfiguration. An Albanian man tuned up. he appears to have been baptised by the Mormons. I gave him an English Bible and a copy of Ultimate Questions in Albanian (I was glad  to find one around. Our church paid for the first printing many years ago I believe). There is no point in letting feeling down interfere with the work. It does make it harder though.

No comments: