The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day March 29 2015

I was away this last Sunday down in Pains Hill, where I preach from time to time. Robert Strivens, my fellow elder, was preaching for me here in Childs Hill. Sadly, the Pains Hill congregation was down in numbers. Some were away but there have also been deaths, people have moved and some have become discouraged and rarely come. They are getting a dozen along to their children's meeting at least. I preached from Ezra 9 and on Philippians 2:7. One of the treats of going there is lunch with the Averys. I was in college with Jonathan. We both did English. They have three daughters so his family life has been quite different to mine.

No comments: