The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day March 22 2015

Busy day yesterday starting with a bitesize theology class on the atonement. We had a bumper turn out. I then preached to a decent sized congregation, including some visitors, on the last chapter of Ezra (10 points all beginning with C and about dealing with sin). We have enjoyed the series on Ezra I believe. At 6 pm we had a prayer meeting about our currently defunct children's work. We have planned to meet monthly for prayer. In the evening meeting we looked at Matthew 5:38-42 and the verses about and eye for an eye and how we are to understand it. Again, decent numbers. To be honest I'm not entirely happy about this series from Matthew 5 - something missing somehow I fear. It probably needs to be more convicting.

No comments: