The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Every Chapter 03 - Philippians

In every chapter of Philippians the themes of joy or rejoicing and striving together, sharing or being of the same mind are found.
Chapter 1
4 In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 18 ... The important thing is that in every way ... Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, 25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, 27 Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit, striving together as one for the faith of the gospel
Chapter 2
1, 2 Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.
17, 18 But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. So you too should be glad and rejoice with me.
28, 29 Therefore I am all the more eager to send him, so that when you see him again you may be glad and I may have less anxiety. So then, welcome him in the Lord with great joy, ....
Chapter 3
1 Further, my brothers and sisters, rejoice in the Lord! 
17 Join together in following my example, brothers and sisters,
Chapter 4
2 I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord.
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!
10 I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. 

No comments: