The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Retro Album of the Week 23 - Close to the edge

No surprises here as in Yes we have the only progressive band to even remotely challenge the superiority of Focus (given that we label the latter that way). As a kid, money was tight and so my Yes intake was minimal but I re-educated myself over the years and this album certainly is a masterpiece. Close to the Edge is the fifth studio album from Yes. Released in 1972, it followed the success of Fragile (1971) which I might have chosen instead and marked the zenith of Yes's success. This album has only three tracks (the title track occupying all of one side of the original LP). "And You and I" and "Siberian Khatru" were on side two. The album was apparently a commercial and critical success. "And You and I" was even released in single form. The gatefold sleeve opened on a pleasing piece of work by Roger Dean. The bubble logo on the front was surprisingly appearing for the first time. The title is said to have been given by Bill Bruford as descriptive of where he thought Yes were at. On the album's release he left.
 

No comments: