The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day May 31 2015


Every Sunday is different at Childs Hill. Fifth Sundays are perhaps more different than others. We had a good turn out in the morning though we were quite low in the evening. There were a five or six regulars away for various reasons. We had hopefully encouraging sermons that sort of matched. I am not planning to begin a new series in the morning until after the summer so we looked at Psalm 73 in the morning, which I know best from Dr Lloyd-Jones's book The Triumph of Faith. I didn't check out Lloyd-Jones to remind myself of his approach but I'm sure it is there subliminally. In the evening we looked at worrying from the Sermon on the Mount. Previously I have gone through verses 25-34 over two or three weeks but it seemed better to take it all in one go. I ended up quoting three pop songs for some reason (Three little birds, Hands and One day at a time sweet Jesus). I would not be happy with any of those songs but each has snippets of truth - Don't worry about a thing, worry is wasteful and the need to live one day at a time.

No comments: