The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

10 Comedians said to be atheists and David Bowie fans



Correlation is not causation but I think this list is correct.

1. Ricky Gervais
2. David Baddiel
3. Robin Ince
4. Steve Coogan
5. Eddie Izzard
6. David Schneider
7. Jimmy Carr
8. Ben Elton
9. Dom Joly
10. Tim Minchin


 As for Bowie himself, he seems never to have gone for full on atheism. He apparently once said when interviewed "... I’m not quite an atheist and it worries me. There’s that little bit that holds on: Well, I’m almost an atheist. Give me a couple of months."
PS Not an atheist or a Bowie fan.

2 comments:

Paul Burgess said...

Very out of the box correlation. All too clever to submit to the foolishness of the cross. I always remember the story of Stuart Elliott having Bowie over for lunch.

Gary Brady said...

I forgot you are a Bowie fan! I think the correlation is the age of these men rather than their philosophy. I think the Stuart Olyott anecdote from hi time inSwitzerland relates to Bowie's son (Zowie call me Duncan Jones)