The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day April 21 2019


It was good to be back in Childs Hill on Sunday. It being Easter Sunday I preached on the resurrection - from John 20 in the morning and Luke 24 in the evening. I wish I had chosen to go more into the implications of the resurrection in at least one sermon. Loved singing some of those good old Easter hymns. We must try some more next week. We had a good turn out in the morning, though the evening was small as usual, with only six at the communion beforehand. Having been away I was struck by the diversity of our congregation. It is quite remarkable, covering all the continents as it does. The warm weather prompted African dress, mostly from some of the older men and women in the congregation. Not many away. Two American couples on vacation who I had never met joined us. They were from Washington State, just north of Portland, and had found us on the web.

No comments: