The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Banner Conference 2019 Session 5 John Benton


The third session on the Tuesday has been John Benton on the Spirit from heaven. See video here. John is retired from pastoral ministry but works with pastors through the Pastors Academy in London. Two good quotations he gave
George Whitefield (in his Journals)
Could the trees of a certain wood near Stonehouse speak, they would tell what sweet communion I and some dear souls enjoyed with the ever-blessed God there. Sometimes, as I have been walking, my soul would make such sallies that I thought it would go out of the body. At other times I would be so overpowered with a sense of God’s infinite majesty, that I would be constrained to throw myself prostrate on the ground, and offer my soul as a blank in His hands, to write on it what He pleased. 
Milton Vincent ("A Gospel Primer for Christians")
The gospel is so foolish (according to my natural wisdom,1 Cor 1:21), so scandalous (according to my conscience, 1 Cor 1:23), and so incredible (according to my timid heart, 1 John 3:19), that it is a daily battle to believe the full scope of it as I should. There is simply no other way to compete with the forebodings of my conscience, the condemnings of my heart, and the lies of the world and the Devil (2 Cor 4:4) than to overwhelm such things with daily rehearsings of the gospel.

No comments: