The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Night ragas etc


A slightly strange thing happened last Tuesday that I meant to mention. One reason why drink and drugs have never been a very great temptation for me is that I can get quite a high from the chemicals that naturally run through my head. It does mean a corresponding low when they are not so active but there we are. Anyway I went to bed last Tuesday and after two minutes (I'm usually asleep in five) I decided I couldn't get to sleep. I explained to Eleri (not over sympathetic). She said (and I don't think it's ever happened quite like this) words to the affect that if I was so full of energy why didn't I go down and clean up the kitchen. Well, I went down and the radio happened to be tuned to Radio 3 and some Indian music. I have discovered that it was the end of the proms programme on from 10 until 11.30 pm. I'd missed most of it but I caught the Indian night ragas performed by Nishat Khan (sitar) with Rashid Mustafa Thirak (tabla) and Natasha Ahmad (tanpura). I might not have enjoyed it so much on another occasion but it was a real treat at this time and helped me get that kitchen perfect!

No comments: