The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

52 JC No 21

From a sermon on Galatians 1:11-14 (partly quoted by Derek Thomas from a different transaltion recently)
Let us call to mind what we have already noted before; that is to say, that all men, both great and small must bow, and the Son of God must have the pre-eminence and the mastery. He alone should be the Shepherd, and we the sheep. It is true that those who are charged with preaching the gospel may well be called shepherds, but this does not mean that they can act in their own name or by their own power, nor must they undermine the sovereignty of the Son of God. As for myself, as I speak to you now, I must not bring anything of my own, nor elevate myself above other people. In this I am addressing the whole congregation, and therefore the message applies to myself first of all and next to everyone else here without exception. Not even the most noble person in the world may exempt himself from the submission which is due to the Son of God.

No comments: