The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Visiting Dad 05



I had a nice day with my dad today in Cwmbran. I caught a coach at Victoria at 9.30 am and was with my dad in time for some ham sandwiches around 1 pm. I went and got his pension from the Post Office nearby and changed the bed and did a wash. We had thought of going up to Abergavenny but that didn't work out, which was a pity on such a nice day. Instead we had a good dose of daytime TV – Loose Women, Deal or no deal, Divided, etc. The usual fare was curtailed, rather, due to racing from Ascot on the BBC. I long ago ceased to be a Royalist but despite that and the very worldly focus of everything it was at least mildly interesting for a novice like myself. I had not taken in the fact that the Queen actually owns Ascot! Anyway the afternoon soon went with various things to do, including trying to get the squirrel off the bird table just outside my dad's window and fiddling with the computerised photo frame (which he won't keep on as it's a waste of electricity!). Around 5 pm he made us chops and chips and then Gail came from work and after a brief time with her I was back on the coach heading home. My dad seems very well and has put a little weight back on. Conversation was all rather light, I'm afraid. It's bound to be like that sometimes.

No comments: