The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Stapleford again

I fly to the Philippines July 1 but there's a lot to do before then and this week is looking pretty busy. I had a little bit of a groundhog day yesterday. About a year ago I blogged this. I've used part of that entry as a template for this one (snag is I don't think the old links work - oh perhaps they do).
I was out all day Tuesday. Bright and early Eleri took me to the London Gateway Services near the bottom of the M1 (did you know that the M1 has no Junction 3?) where I met up with Jeremy Walker (Maidenbower Baptist) to travel to Stapleford, just off the M1 between Derby and Nottingham. In a chapel there I was at my (first) second full committee organising upcoming Westminster Conferences. It was good to be amongst august company.
The next Westminster Conference (2009) is all set. It will again be at the American Church in Tottenham Court Road. We have two on Calvin (from Don Carson and Garry Williams), one on the 1859 Revival (Stephen Clark), one concerning Darwin and Darwinism (Ken Brownell), one on the Elizabethan settlement of 1559 (Robert Oliver) and, to round off, one on the Moravians (Bruce Jenkins). It looks like it will be a very good conference. Do come along.
As for 2010 (December 7, 8) things are shaping up well. We are hoping to have papers on Puritans and preparationism, the KJV, properly understanding the Reformation and the opposition to Rome and on Andrew Bonar.
A lady in the church kindly made us hot drinks and gave us a light lunch again. We were again invited to have a meal at the nearby home of a former committee member now retired. We again had a lovely time chatting and enjoying hospitality there, sharing news and anecdotes, etc.
We then headed home. I was back by 9 pm but Jeremy would have taken rather longer. Kind man. He avoided the city this time.

No comments: