The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Visiting Dad 06



Last week was so busy, I didn't have chance to report on my last visit to Cwmbran. This was quite different again as I went up in the car and we had specific tasks. I arrived around 10.30 am after a straightforward journey in the sunshine. The care support worker was ready to leave when I arrived. The nurse was expected to change a dressing but when she had not arrived by 11 we pushed off.
My dad has this new apparatus he is getting used to. I find from the net that it is called a rollator. It is an excellent help.
We headed off to Newport, found a parking space eventually and did the building society then the quite impressive Natwest bank, where we were treated to a cuppa and a chat about finance. My dad can be a little frustrating with some of his ideas about money.
Before heading home we popped into Marks & Spencer's to spend a voucher my dad had for his eightieth. That didn't take long. He bought a long sleeved one for some reason. Marks is remarkably unchanged though it needs some attention. Its marble steps are among my earliest memories.
Back home we had a bite to eat - a ham sandwich and a Tesco value pork pie which is cheap but has no taste. We actually saw a bird on the bird table.
A bonus on this trip was that my best friend Chris was also in town to visit his mother and so we were able to meet up for a cuppa and cake in the Nine yards.
The journey home was uneventful. We had our church members meeting the same evening. We were a small number as ever.
My dad seems well. He now goes to the hospice every Monday and is being well looked after by home visitors.

No comments: