The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

DMLJ 10 Hendriksen on John

I'd quite forgotten this one until I did what I should have done earlier - to look at the bibliography in the second volume of the biography by Iain Murray. He had two or three I'd missed but I think I have one or two that he's missed too. This one from January 1959 (I was born in May 1959) is interesting as it betrays the dearth of good commentaries at the time. I remember using it for personal devotions as a young Christian in my teens (I had the old Geneva series edition at the time).William Hendriksen New Testament Commentary on John

Foreword
There is but one reason why I write this Foreword and that is that the works of Dr. Hendriksen are hitherto not so well-known in this country as they should be. His commentary on the Book of Revelation called "More than Conquerors" More than Conquerors" has been published here and has exercised influence on the outlook and teaching of many in Evangelical circles. It is betraying no confidence to say that the last series of addresses delivered at the Keswick Convention by the late and much lamented Mr. Fred Mitchell were based upon this book. It is good, therefore, that this commentary on the Gospel according to St John should now be made available in this country.For myself I have to say that it is the most satisfying commentary that I have ever read on this Gospel. Dr. Hendriksen is acknowledged and recognized as an outstanding New Testament scholar who is thoroughly up-to-date and fully aware of all modern movements of thought. He leaves nothing to be desired in that respect, but at the same time his outlook and teaching are thoroughly Reformed, Conservative and Evangelical. There is an excellent Introduction, and a peculiarly and a peculiarly interesting feature is the way in which he gives a synopsis of the argument of each section. At the same time there is a verse by verse commentary, and all bathed in the warm devotional spirit of a Pastor's heart. Here is an invaluable aid for all preachers, Sunday school workers and Bible Class leaders, and indeed for all who "desire the sincere milk of the word that they may grow thereby." All who enter into the riches of this great Gospel under the guidance of Dr. Hendriksen will find their minds informed, their faith quickened, strengthened and established, and their hearts moved to adoration. At any rate that has been my experience. That is what one is entitled to ask and to expect of any commentary, but alas it is a desideratum that is but rarely satisfied by modern commentaries. I pray that it may be widely read and studied, and that Dr. Hendriksen's commentaries on other books of the New Testament already published in America will soon be available in this country. D M Lloyd-Jones Westminster Chapel, London, January, 1959

1 comment:

Paul Burgess said...

I read this or at least the first few chapters when preparing bible studies for CU at Westfield. Yes, excellent commentary. It has to this day shaped my thinking as I read John.