The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Shoes S


In some ways we are spoiled for choice on S, though sandals, slip-ons ( I could have included loafers which I missed at L) and slingbacks are all rather generic. Sneakers is an American term, the British equivalent really being trainers (I still call them training shoes, showing my age). Slippers I've done with my cheat - quilted slippers. Skate boots (for skate boarding) and ski shoes were possibles but in the end I thought we'd go for stiletto heels and (appropriately given the current weather) snow shoes. Stiletto heels are named after the stiletto dagger. Americans call them spike heels.



No comments: