The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Tomorrow's Dankworth


Johnny Dankworth the British jazz musician died recently. His was a name I was always aware of (mainly through my dad) though not at all up on his music. It is only with his death that I have learned that the theme tune to BBC's technology programme of the sixties and seventies Tomorrow's World - a tune I always liked -was by Dankworth. This is the whole piece. If I remember rightly Tomorrow's World would be on at 7 pm on a Thursday immediately before Top of the Pops - a good hour that used to be (although we had a regular visitor around then every week who would always talk to my mam right through most of the hour).

3 comments:

Paul Burgess said...

I remember Star Trek also beign on Thursday. TV bliss I watched TV on any other day.

Gary Brady said...

Yes, over on BBC 2 at eight. I'd forgotten my brief trekkie period. I still vaguely remember some plots - and all the characters (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Sulu, Uhura, Scottie)

Paul Burgess said...

Incredible remembering TV shecdules from 30 odd years ago.
I watched/rewatched everything Trek starting with Next Generation and working forward in the Trek timeline before swinging back to Enterprise [that takes place before TOS] and now I'm back to TOS. It's much more enjoyable than I thought it would be. The Physics stuff is very cutting edge for the 60s. I'm also surprised at how many references there are to God and even the "law of God". An alien civilisation that has developed along parallel lines to humans even has amongst their books a bible! It's almost like CS Lewis' space trilogy in that you could attempt to weave it into a Christian view of the world. I cite this as an example of 60s culture. Roddenbury was a strong agnositc himself although it is nice to see the prominent role of African American characters and even the Russian Chekov. Martin Luther King told Nichelle Nichols he always watched the show.