The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

French Cruelty

I was rather distressed to see on the recent trip to Paris cases of cruelty to garden gnomes. They look happy enough but such incarceration cannot be right. This shot was taken in a street near Notre Dame. I plan to take things up with the French Ambassador.

3 comments:

Jonathan Hunt said...

Is that a gnome with a trumpet? he deserves to be behind bars for such worldly compromise!

Gary Benfold said...

I don't think a trumpet is worldly compromise! A cactus, on the other hand...

Gary Brady said...

I thought it was vuvuzela. When I asked the gnomes, they'd apparently all gone deaf. As for cacti, I have no wish to get into such a prickly suject.