The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

GBA 2011 09

Our very final session was led by Gary Benfold (no not me but Gary Benfold as he pointed out). He took us to John 17:24  (Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world). He had three points and used lots of helpful illustrations. The points were
1. There is such a place as heaven - where believers  are with Christ and share in his (mediatorial) glory
2. What happens in heaven? See 1 John 3:1-3. It is a place where there is no more sorrow or sin. more than that we will be clothed with the glory that is his.
3. What Christ wants is what he has or is about to earn for his people. The Godhead is united in wanting to bring his children home. When believers die that is why they are admitted to heaven - because Christ wants it and has done what is necessary.
Unbelievers need to trust and those who already believe ought to tell the Lord they are glad they have trusted in him.

So an excellent conference and assembly all told. God is good.

No comments: