The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day May 17 2015

We had the tenth and last Bitesize Theology session for now on redemption to begin the day. It has been a good series with decent if erratic turn out. I then preached to a fairly full congregation on the rest of 1 Corinthians 16 (from verse 5). I focused on the subject of planning ahead in a godly way. In the evening we had communion at 6 pm and then I preached on fasting from Matthew 6. Fasting is not a subject we often look at so it was good to be back on it. Perhaps I have over-reacted against the way the subject has been hi-jacked by more extreme elements and downplayed fasting. This is always a possibility but when you keep coming back to Scripture you at least lessen that danger.

No comments: