The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day, May 1 2016

We're rather behind with things here at present. I failed to report on last week's midweek meeting which was on 2 Timothy 2:8-10 and I hope was helpful. The praying went well. Last Lord's Day was the beginning of a new month so we started with communion. I read from Psalm 22. Church was packed as there was a wedding the day before in the church and several had stayed over. We were looking at Revelation 20, a potentially difficult chapter. I took a modified amillennial view. I think the thousand years is the time from the first to the second coming but I also think the short time is the same time, which is a difficult concept to hold in your mind. It was the view taken by Loraine Boettner. In the evening we went back to Matthew and to Chapter 8, looking at verses 1-4 and the leper there. We had lots of different people in during the day, including unconverted people. We long for them to come regularly and to be saved.

No comments: