The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Wednesday September 28 2016

Nine of us were present last night (four men, five women, including one lady we don't see very often). I have been preparing six messages for pastors in South Africa (I'm en route there as I write) so I thought one might suit for our midweek meeting. I chose the one on the pastor as preacher of Law and Gospel. I hope it was helpful and will be. I've been reading Sinclair Ferguson's book on the whole Christ today and thinking how much more nuanced I should have been/will need to be. Anyway, I think the message was appreciated and we had a good long time to pray, nearly everyone leading in prayer. Saying goodbye to three young women this week off to Uni, etc. Anyway I'm in Dubai as I write (the modern world, eh?) and I have limited wi-fi so I'll try and get this off now. Very much looking forward to these APCs in Estcourt, Queenstown, East London and Bloemfontein and two Sundays preaching in churches. Do pray.

No comments: