The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day September 25 2016

I'm behind with this as I was at a conference most of the day yesterday at the Evangelical Library. It was a good day Sunday I guess, however, although attendance in the evening was pretty low. I spoke from Galatians again in the morning. It is so full of gospel, it is almost inevitably very refreshing. In the evening we looked at the rest of Matthew 10 and considered further principles of discipleship (including taking up the cross another fundamental matter). I was fairly discouraged by the end of the day by the general lack of progress in the work here. Very few with a real interest in the gospel were present, several were away or will be leaving us soon. Even with some of our own members I wonder if I'm getting through. I question my own level of genuine commitment too. It is always difficult to know when it is right to be discouraged. If it is, it must lead to a fresh leaning on the Lord.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gary, Can I encourage you that your blog is greatly appreciated and I'm sure helps many Christians in different walks of life. Do persevere. Thank you.

Gary Brady said...

Encouraged. Thanks Anon.

Stefan Beyer said...

Thank you for your ministry.