The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Eccentrics Conference 2018


I like the Eccentrics Conference for several reasons. Firstly, the name appeals. These men are clearly not taking themselves too seriously. Secondly, it's in Wales and I seem not to get to Wales as often as I might wish. Three, I can get to see relatives usually. Four, there are always good speakers, unrecorded and slightly off guard, including Paul Blackham, always worth hearing. Five, it's now a local church based event (Mount Pleasant Swansea). Six, Steve Levy (for all his faults) is a great guy. Seven, the people who go are generally reformed pastors working hard at home. Eight, I get to meet people I might not otherwise. Nine, it has a relaxed friendly atmosphere.
This year's conference was up to usual standards despite the disappointing no show of Stuart Olyott. John Tindall took his place and gave us two helpful self effacing messages from 1 Thessalonians 1 and Acts 20 (with some final thoughts on Ephesians). We also heard Mez McConnell, who is always worth hearing, spoke from John 18 and Steve himself kicked us off from Psalm 2. Paul Blackham was very stimulating as ever looking at how the Bible speaks to us not across the hermeneutically divide but much more directly. It was nice to hear someone else (apart from Peter Masters) say that the Bible is NOT like any other book. We also did some singing (including two unaccompanied psalms - it was like being at Banner a bit!) and we prayed and there were two more open sessions answering questions and some confession of regrets and as ever there was bags of food.
I snuck off on the Monday night to join my sympthetics Phil and Sheila Davies and family as my son Dylan was across with their daughter Cat to celebrate his birthday. They kindly put me up for the night. So more fellowship. My oldest son was at the conference as was my father-in-law and a more distant relative. All being well I'll get to see my third son and his wife before getting home.
Long term viewers of this blog will be glad to see that the pics of Paul B and Steve L above are leading us back to the previous low quality of the past. Enjoy.

No comments: