The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

The Children Act

I'd meant to say we were at the cinema  last week, watching The Children Act with Emma Thompson and Stanley Tucci. People have not been too kind to it but I thought it was very good. It deals with big themes - death, marriage, childlessness, career. friendship, religion, etc - and does it,a s far as I could see, without coming down too heavily handedly in a didactic manner. Rather, it presents the dilemmas strikingly and realistically and I found it very stimulating. I don't like to read up about a film before going so I had not realised it is based on an Ian McEwan novel. May be I wouldn't like the novel. I liked the film. Great acting from Thompson, Tucci and the young man.

No comments: