The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Tiny Histories by Dixe Wills

I picked up Tiny Histories: Trivial events and trifling decisions that changed British history by Dixe Wills the other month and read it over the summer. I'd not realised it was part of a sort of series. It can be read in isolation. This volume is a series of anecdotes referening various events in history. he does stretch the format a litle here and there but it's okay. There are forty stories in six sections, some I knew (such as Byrhtnoth's act of chivalry and the two Liverpool teenagers who meet at a church fete) and some I didn't (such as arsenic poisoning in Bradford and Robert Clive's attempted suicide) and some I was vague on (Henry I and his lampreys and the 1964 election and a change of programme on BBC).

No comments: