The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day September 16 2018


I preached in the morning to a typically sized number (around 35) from Luke 15 on the lost son. It was encouraging to see most people present when we started (it's not always like that). There were people missing (including at least three young men I hoped to see - I got rather down about that later) but visitors too, including a couple who start at the seminary this week. Our Nigerian friend came again and a couple sat at the back before leaving straight after the service. They looked a little South Sea Islands to me and did turn out to be a Maori couple on holiday from Wellington.
We had a decent number in the evening too (18?) when I carried on with Matthew 21 and the cleansing of the Temple, including a mother and daughter new to the area who found us on the Internet. The daughter had come to faith hearing the preaching of Ray Bevan on TV. Hope we see them again. You never know in Childs Hill.
In the afternoon we had a visit from the son of former members from the States (he left 19 years ago when he was two!) over in London. It was  great delight to talk to him. I completely forgot it was evening communion at 6 pm, however, so we had to rush over and ai cam up wiht a truncated service - not the ideal way to do it. (We've had the communion before the main meeting for over 25 years I guess and I've forgotten about three times now).

No comments: