The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Day off Week 36

It's been the holiday period and so there were few real days off in August except holiday ones. We are getting back into routine, however, and so yesterday was my official day off. In the morning there was a prayer meeting and three of us gathered to pray (I have organised a series of prayer meetings this week). I tried to fill the rest of the day with day off sorts of stuff. In the summer I picked up a copy of Derek Thomas's new book Strength for the weary. It is a beautifully produced hardback from Ligonier. I had assumed it was based on Psalms but it is a set of eight or nine reworked sermons on verses in the latter half of Isaiah (ie 40-66). It is a real gem being very pastoral but with a wonderful grasp of Isaiah, strong theology and good use of supporting materials. A real gem. I also carried on with a book I'm reading at present called The secret life of cows and another on words by Farrukh Dhondy (more on those another time). I didn't do that much walking but I made sure I went out for a coffee and a go at the puzzles in the newspaper. I also did some blogging here and watched the second part of  ITV's Vanity Fair which is going well I thought. I also got round to fixing our hall light which has been out of action for too long. As I suspected it was not just a bulb problem. The fitting wires had come loose and needed to be re-stripped and fitted. Balancing on the bottom of the stairs with a pair of scissors is not the best way to do it but we got there.

No comments: