The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Chas Hodges

Chas Hodges of Chas and Dave has died recently. He used to give this anecdote

“I was at Eric Clapton’s wedding when I joined The Beatles,” he laughs.
“Me and the missus got invited and there was a marquee set up in the grounds with a stage, amps and drum kit in case anyone felt like getting up and having a jam.
“Anyway, this little kid starting bashing the drums and called over to me saying, ‘C’mon Chas, sing Gertcha for us.’ So up I go with the mike, and started singing some rock and roll stuff. I looked up and there was Ringo Starr sitting there smiling at me.
“The next thing I knew Paul McCartney was plugging in his bass and George Harrison was slipping a guitar strap over his head.
“And there’s me in the middle of some Chuck Berry number thinking, ‘Hang on a minute, I’m the fourth flippin Beatle ‘ere.”

No comments: