The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Day off Week 50




So on with the jeans and t-shirt once again and a walk in mild weather for the season to Kenwood House. Not having the dog with me, I could go into the house and check out the paintings again (Vermeer, Wright, Rembrandt, Gainsborough, etc). There were few people about and each house had at least one guide desperate to tell me stuff. Nice. I had a coffeee there and read the paper. In Golders Green I bought some coat hooks and back here I put them on the back of a bedroom door. Lots of reading. I finished a new transaltion of Aladdin which I enjoyed and read more of Christmas Carol (finished today) Pinocchio and a neglected book (still not quite finished Seven Types of Atheism. in the evening we watched the final parts of two series. Mrs Wilson was okay. It is amazing what people are willing to share about their family background. If Mr Wilson was my grandfather I might want to keep quiet. Blood turned out to be soemthing different to what you had thought and is really a rather poor attempt to normalise adultery, homosexuality, suicide, euthanasia, etc. Unimpressed.

No comments: