The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Childhood Anecdote




Somewhere around 1965 I went as a six year old with my family on our usual summer caravan holiday to Porthcawl. At some point my dad's younger brother Peter (still alive and well and living in Canada) turned up with a new car he had bought secondhand, perhaps his first car. It was some sort of Ford Zephyr, a convertible if I remember correctly. Anyway, the think about this car was the registration, GAR 12. My uncle told me (as uncles do) he'd got it with me in my mind (we had just moved into our new home, number 12). I remember thinking at the time that he might have been better to have had GARY B and dropped the 12. GAR would make it a Hertfordshire registration I think.

No comments: