The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Day off Week 51


So it was on with the jeans and t-shirt again and off for walk with Alffi for the last real day off of the year, as next week is Christmas which is always a unique week. I'd forgotten that I had to be in the seminary in the afternoon so despite the attire and the presence of the dog I had to get me to Finchley on the bus. At least it meant I got me 10,000 steps done. Eleri was out for most of the day so I ate out mid-day. I was keen to do something Christmassy so I watched the 2003 film Elf, which is a very funny Christmas film. I've never watched every moment of it before. I also started on a Poirot Christmas story which is alright (I have rather stalled with the Grace Mitchell novel I bought a few weeks ago Murder in the snow [originally Groaning Spinney] as it is not really a Christmas novel at all). I finished Seven types of Atheism by John Gray at last too. Plenty of Christmas music too but mostly the albums in my Christmas present - the box set of Jan Akkerman albums. I particularly enjoyed the live double album 10000 Clowns as well as other tracks and enjoyed putting some visuals with Come closer. I'm sure a day off is indulgent (chance woukd be a fine thing perhaps you think) in many ways but having reported on it now for half a year I am finding it a helpful way to think.

No comments: