The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Films on the plane


During my recent visit to S Africa and back I took advantage of the abundance of films available and watched a few. I enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody as a simple recap on the seventies with regard to Queen. Can't understand why the surviving members of Queen were willing to have themseves presented as such bozos. They were one of the most popular groups in our class as a teenager. I still remember Bohemian Rhapsody coming out and what a masterpiece it seemed to me to be. 
Sometimes, always, never is a quirky little British film with Bill Nighy and Jenny Agutter that explores grief and sibling rivalry from an odd but charming angle. Green Book has been much talked about and it was good to see what the fuss was. It is a road movie where two highly unlikely characters are thrown together (an Italian American hoodlum and an African American musician with classical training).
Can you ever forgive me? has also been much talked about and is an interesting story based in true events but I find it hard work to enjoy films about horrible people. The fifth film was Mary Queen of Scots. Lots of problems with this - unrealistically positive about Mary, John Knox caricatured (David Tennant!), gratuitous sex scenes, etc. The best bit in the film never happened in reality but that is not such a bad failing in some ways.

No comments: