The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

The Old Rising Sun

Recently placed on one of my other blogs


There was a pub in Newport town
They called the Rising Sun
They changed it to the Harlequin;
It's now a restaurant.
My mother was a Thomas
She sewed my old blue jeans,
My father came from Corpor Road
They lived up in Cwmbran.

I once met gransha in that pub,
Into that haunt he'd slunk.
He looked so very satisfied,
He was a little drunk.
Oh mother tell your children
Why the name of Harlequin
Is still found on the roundabout
And how it was The Rising Sun

I have one foot on the platform
The other on a train
And I'm goin' back to Newport town,
It looks like it might rain.
Yeah, there was a pub in Newport town
They called The Rising Sun,
I remember it from when a boy
And I'm not the only one.

No comments: