The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Helpful Jim Packer Book on Old age


Jim Packer's last book came out in 2014. It's called Finishing our course with joy and is subtitled Ageing with hope (by the by Ageing is the British spelling; I think the content is in American or Canadian spelling). I have mentioned it before but this is an attempt todraw attention to it once again. It is aimed at people slightly older than myself but I found it helpful as I approach retirement or whatever. The thesis is that as we approach old age people tell us to slow down, take it easy, etc. Packer says no. If you have an eternal perspective you will not take that approach. I found his arguments surprisingly helpful. I have not entirely enjoyed turning 60 and this book helped me to see that my problem is exactly this impetus to wind down. Packer argues well that this is not the way forward. The book is not long and the publishers (IVP) have thoughtfully printed it in large print.

No comments: