The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day August 25 2019


We had a decent number last Lord's Day morninng (and not too bad in the evening) thanks to one or two visitors (including our friend in hospital once again) and some people back who were away last week. We tackled a text in the morning - Romans 8:26, 27. Romans 8 teems with good things and it was great to be there again. In the evening we began on Matthew 27, the penultimate chapter of the Gospel on our second time through in my time. One problem in the morning not repeated in the evening was the choice of hymns. We ended up with three or four hymns set too high for us to difficult tunes and quite dense in their content. The heat didn't help either. On reflection if we had sung a version of Psalm 23 second, it would have transformed things. After a service like that I think to myself that I should prepare more thoroughly but then I like to keep spontaneity, which sometimes goes if you overthink it. I spoke to the children in the morning and in the evening we looked at Question 2 of the New City Catechism.

No comments: