The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Day Off Week 2 2022


After all the holiday, we are trying to get back into some sort of routine, so last Tuesday it was my first day off of the year. I did a lot of work on various books I have written or am writing. Someone kindly sent me a festchrift that has been written for Bob Penhearow of Carey Outreach Ministries, which I have had some small connection with. I love that format and there were lots of good things on there. More details here. I went for a walk and a coffee and bumped into Lord and lady Childs Hill who I rarely see together. They told me they are celebrating their sixtieth wedding anniversary this year. I also watched a bit of TV. Nice day.
(The book I should add features Bible Studies, theology, church history and pastoralia. I enjoyed the church history best. I'd never heard of Chang and Chu of Shanxi - brilliant story [inevitably the solitary typo I spotted comes where Pastor Hsi is called His] or of Charles Tupper and I though Dr Haykin did an excellent piece on Machen. I also found Carl Muller on butn out interesting - it reminded me of the importance of the day off!)

No comments: