The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day September 11 2022


In the light of recent events we began with a minute's silence and I tried to talk to the children about Queen Elizabeth's tole and faith. I didn't change the sermons as I had already decoded to preach sermons touching on death and disappointment. In the morning we looked at the famous text Romans 6:23. I felt the structure needs reworking. In the evening I preached on a phrase from Genesis 42:36 Everything is against me. We were a good number in the morning but we were quite few in the evening. However, we had two visitors - an old friend and someone we had never seen before. I hope the fresh visitor comes again but I feel like there would be a steep learning curve ahead.

No comments: