The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Day Off Week 27 2023


I more or less followed the pattern of last week, starting with a long walk, ending with some TV and including perusing another art book (Warhol this time who I prefer to Klee) and buying some cheese to write about on my cheese blog. I also read most of John Benton's helpful book on resilience based on 2 Timothy. I also took a trip down to Trafalgar Square to see the new exhibition of photographs taken by Paul McCartney in late 1963 and in 1964. It is all done very well and  fascinating to spend time looking at. I also bought the paperback version of the accompanying book. These days one often turns ones photos into a little film and McCartney's stab at his colour ones from his Miami ones in colour is there to see. Perhaps it was a little pretentious to say he directed the film. Perhasp it's a joke, of course.
The photograph exhibition is at the National Portrait Gallery and is called Eyes of the Storm. See here.

No comments: