The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

And the next five


I have finished the book on Hitler and art that I had for my birthday. It is a fascinating book weaving together the story of how Hitler dealt with the mentally ill, including those with excellent artistic skills and his lesser known campaign against modern art. Very interesting. The book on Humility by Gavin Ortlund is in the same series as the one I mentioned by Sinclair Ferguson, Worthy. It is not an easy subject but he deals with it well and helpfully. I piced up David Robertson's book Seek at the Catalyst Conference. It is really for teenagers but I found it so fascinating I ordered the previous title, which I had missed, Ask. Both great little books. The other one I read recently is the Affinity book Challenging Leaders. I am desperate to be positive aboutthis book but am finding it very hard. It is written by a committee and sadly sounds like it as draws together various nuggets of biblical and sociological wisdom. I hope it is a helo to those who need oit most. 

No comments: